Vladivostok – Lord of the East!
Once founded, the port of Vladivostok played a key role in the development of the Russian Far East. It has become a distribution center for cargoes shipped to Sakhalin, Kamchatka and other short-sea destinations as well as departure point for Russian merchant vessels sailing to bordering countries and main destination point for foreign vessels. Vladivostok is the terminus of Trans-Siberian Railway.
June 18, 1859 A great port! Lord of the East!, - said Nikolay Muravyov-Amurskiy, Governor-General of Eastern Siberia on board of corvette America, sailing along the southern coast of Port May Harbor. It was he who destined the future of Vladivostok city and its main gateway seaport.
March 18, 1860 Nikolay Muravyov-Amurskiy, Governor-General of Eastern Siberia gives an order to build the port in Vladivostok.
June 20, 1860 There was founded the military post Vladivostok. In a year it was granted a “porto franco” status – free zone, which spurred rapid development of the port.
May 10, 1896 Nicholas II, the Russian Emperor, ordered to build commercial port on the coast of Golden Horn Bay and allocated 600,000 rubles for this purpose. The best specialists were invited and the most up-to-date technologies were used to construct a new port.
September 28, 1897 The first concrete blocks for future berths were installed. Three years later the port completely changes, in 1900 it can accommodate 436 vessels compared with 246 vessels in 1897. Total cargo turnover increased from 187,750 tons to 411,460 tons for 3 years.
1909 After the Russo-Japanese war (1904-1905) the port of Vladivostok for several years remained the only Russian port accommodating foreign ships. The port handled grain for export, cabotage cargoes, volume of which increased twice in 1909-1914, transshipment cargoes.
1914 During the First World War Commercial Port of Vladivostok becomes the main Russian port. Cargo nomenclature changed significantly, the port handled mainly food stuff, steam engines, weapons imported from the USA, the port had to be reconstructed. The Government invested 1.7M rubles in port reconstruction.
1941-1945 The Great Patriotic War. Port workers selflessly fought at the fronts and worked hard in rear areas to hasten the peace by victory. During the war when Baltic and Black Seas were locked out by the enemies; weapons, food stuff, machinery and medical supplies were shipped to Vladivostok from the USA under lend-lease. Then the cargo was loaded into wagons and transported to fronts via Trans-Siberian Railway.
For 5 war years the port of Vladivostok handled 10 M tons of cargoes. In 1945 it was recognized the leading port for efficient and speedy vessel handling in the Soviet Union.
After the war economic situation in the Russian Far East began to stabilize: new enterprises appeared, old ones were revitalized. Cabotage shipments increase. In 1950 the port handled 7 times more cabotage cargoes than the year before.
1952 The Port of Vladivostok becomes the base of the RF Navy Pacific Fleet. The port is closed for foreign ships.
1960 Great reconstruction begins in the port. Modern and efficient equipment for cargo handling was purchased. New facilities were built. The layout of the port is totally different.
1986 The government of the USSR initiates political and economic reforms with the aim to change life of soviet people known as perestroika. However the reforms produced opposite effect: the economy of the country failed. Commercial Port of Vladivostok managed to survive the hard times and overcome all obstacles.
January, 1992 After 40 years of being closed the port opens again for foreign vessels.
November, 1992 Commercial Port of Vladivostok was privatized and reorganized into the Joint Stock Company.
October 10, 1997 Hundredth Anniversary of Commercial Port of Vladivostok. For a century the Port handled 283,163,600 tons of cargo.
1999 The port hit its own record of 5 M tons having handled 5.3 M tons.
2002 Port’s throughput reaches 6 M tons.
2003 The port enjoyed a second to none result in cargo handling volumes – 7.1M tons.
2007 Commercial Port of Vladivostok is recognized The Best Stevedoring Company by ASOP.
2008 Large-scale investment project is being realized in Commercial Port of Vladivostok. State-of-the-art equipment is being purchased.
Two new STS cranes and two new RMG cranes have been purchased in accordance with the Strategy for development of container handling facilities and increase of container handling volume up to 650,000TEU till 2015.
Construction of Container Terminal on berths 14-15 launched in 2007 was resumed, i.e. pavement reconstructed, new crane runways built, utilities renovated, waste treatment facilities built. New yard for storage of reefer containers with one-time storage capacity of 180 units was put into operation. Total investments amounted to 718M rubles.
Commercial Port of Vladivostok is recognized The Best Stevedoring Company by ASOP for the second time.
2011 Top priority is given to container handling. Upon completion of reconstruction and remodeling of port facilities at several berths, purchase of state-of-the-art container handling equipment, the number of containers handled by the port doubled. The share of containers in total throughput amounts to 54%.
In 2011 the port handled 432,062TEU and became a leader among the regional ports. The share of Commercial Port of Vladivostok in the total cargo turnover of all the ports in the Russian Far East amounted to 38%.
At the same time the port handles metals, vehicles, grain, timber products, pulp, coke.
Commercial Port of Vladivostok becomes a part of FESCO Transportation Group – one of the main transportation logistics companies, established on the basis of FESCO.